UPDATE: I called the Health Department Vitals Records office in Honolulu (586-4542) to clear things up. According to the employee I spoke with, birth certificates are NOT automatically ordered for you. The birth is officially recorded of course but a birth certificate will NOT be mailed to you unless you ORDER one. This was the first time I’d ever heard of this. It takes 14 business days from the day you order your birth certificate for you to receive it. Also, I asked about expediting and the employee did not offer to expedite my records when I said it was for tax purposes. (We can’t file our taxes until we have baby’s social security number and we can’t request a social security card without her birth certificate) However, other mommies that have commented on my blog have called the number above and had success with expediting their birth certificate. Hope this helps! Read below for how to order your BC – EASY!
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been waiting MONTHS to get my daughter’s birth certificate. If you’re in the same boat as me, I hope this blog will help you!
P.S. – The “certificate of birth” they give you at the hospital is NOT an official birth certificate
The State of Hawaii has a new system in place since the birth of my first child! Hurray! It’s actually EASY to get a birth certificate or a copy of one… I’m impressed! I didn’t have to go to the post office to get a money order this time! It was great to be able to pay by credit card.
Get Your Birth Certificate
1. Click HERE for a link to the Hawaii vital records website.
2. Create an account
3. Now, you answer some simple questions. Make sure to select the amount of copies you want! The first birth certificate is $10 and subsequent ones are only $4. I forgot to order more than one, so when I went back to order a few copies, I had to pay $10 for the “first one” again.
4. You fill out your mailing address.
5. Fill out birth information and indicate mother and father’s names
6. Upload required documents (Valid government-issued photo ID of yourself) – I simply took a photo of my driver’s license and uploaded the image.
7. Sign electronically
8. Pay… by CREDIT CARD! Woo hoo!
9. Print your receipt
10. You can track the status of your order by going to “My Orders” – I checked mine today and it said that my order had been “verified” – so now it just needs to be authorized and completed. **Update: I received the birth certificates in the mail 2 weeks later!**
- Who is eligible to apply for a birth certificate? Click HERE.
- Can I also order for pick up at the Health Department? Yes. (You can also go there in person. Department of Health Issuance Office at 1250 Punchbowl Street, Room 103, Honolulu, HI 96813)
To order for pick up, you must complete the order and pay with credit card. Alternatively, you may opt to pay by cash when you pick up the order.
Once the order has been placed, please visit the Issuance Office at Room 103 (1st floor) of the Health Department building, 1250 Punchbowl Street (corner of Beretania and Punchbowl Streets)
- Days - Monday-Friday (except holidays)
- Hours - 7:45 AM to 2:30 PM
- Information on issuance of certified copies of vital records, Apostilles, amendment of vital records, amended birth certificates (for adopted persons, etc.), and late registration may also be obtained via the telephone system, any day or any time, by calling (808) 586-4533.